Thursday, May 9, 2013

Leaving the Queue: Ah, the Explosive-heavy Memories of My Youth~



It seems as though it's that time again... Robotech is no longer in the queue, having left overnight, the eighth of May being it's last day.

Sure, I could talk about the tons of Warner Movies heading off into the sunset now that Warner is putting together their own streaming platform. Hell, for all I know, Robotech is one of them. I know for a fact that several Bond films dropped off recently, but no... I choose to discuss probably one of the most loved and hated anime to be brought over the Pacific.

At least, before Naruto and Dragonball.

I love Robotech with that rose-colored, Vaseline-on-the-lens nostalgia that comes from youthful over-consumption of something that isn't rightly high quality, but still manages to appeal.

If you were to plant me in front of a screen with visions of Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior, MacGyver and Murder, She Wrote, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Weird Science, I tell you now that I would be feeling a warm glow deep in my gut thanks to all the happy feelings of remembrance... with a small sliver of personal embarrassment at just how little actual taste I had.

For me and Robotech... well, it had everything that I wanted as a kid: Explosions, Adventure, Romance.

As cheesy as it was, Harmony Gold managed to put together a rather compelling little show, stitched from the individual canvases of three separate mecha-combat series. 

Granted, I know now the things that were changed, censored, and basically hacked apart to make it all work... that the constant narration and name changes to make everyone related across the generations was just a cheap device to tie everything together without actually having to support it on screen.

If I had a choice, knowing what I know now, I probably would insist on watching them in their original format as their own series. There's just so much about the Macross universe that doesn't make sense in the other two shows... particularly the power of song. And I would have much preferred the original Southern Cross storyline where "Zor" of Robotech was actually a brainwashed human named Seifriet Weiße. 

Still, I can't help but enjoy the series as it was presented to me almost thirty years ago. It was thrilling and romantic, always populated with characters you either wanted to emulate or just amused the heck out of you. Sure, the lines were corny and the story weak, but it was fun.

Heck, it still is fun... but not to be had on Netflix at the moment. Maybe it will come back at some point. If it does, I eagerly await putting it back on my queue. Until then, even though I own it on DVD, I probably won't bother. There's too much to watch for the blog to deal with physical copies.

Robotech Saga... I salute you and hope to see you on streaming again soon.

See you, Space Cowboy.



No comments:

Post a Comment