Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day One Hundred and Forty-eight - Psych: Season 6, Episode 9, "Poor Corbin Bernsen"

I can safely say that I used to love Psych.

I don't exactly hate it now, but I can't rightly say I really enjoy the show anymore. Maybe it's just that the Jules/Shawn tension is gone now that they're together and that fact harms the show (much in the same way that Pam and Jim finally getting together signaled The Office jumping the shark).

That said, I still try and check in every once in a while... and will probably do so again later in the week for the return of Cary Elwes.

This episode, however, had several other guest stars, including Brandon from 90210 (Jason Priestley) and Buster from Arrested Development (Tony Hale). Yes, I know that Arrested Development's brand new season is currently available in its entirety on Netflix, but I promised my sister that I would wait for her to visit in June so we could watch it together.

Plus... Arrested Development just isn't my thing (blasphemy, I know).

In any case, Neil Simon's Lover's Retreat is a cute little mystery that actually has very little in the way of actual Psych shenanigans. Really, it felt like the entire episode was a misdirection away from Shawn's NintendoDS... which I find kind of admirable, even if I was bored.

Instead of your typical setup where Shawn and Gus outrun the police with small moments of "spot the clue" for Shawn, the epi is mostly Shawn and Jules bonding with an outlaw couple while Gus, Lassiter, and Henry have a guy's weekend where they club then hide from the graverobber blonde chasing Henry.

The whole wine country bit was tired and the reveal even more so... but it was nice to see Jules outside of her main context as a police detective. Well, for most of the time, anyway. There wasn't much development for her character or their relationship aside from "let's do romantic things, not mystery things" which, of course, they cannot avoid.

Also, she just looks so cute in casual clothes. Not that she doesn't rock her professional wardrobe.

Overall, this really is one of the weakest episodes of Psych, save for those final moments where Gus retrieves Shawn's lost DS. But, I'm sure there's more to come with that when I get to the next episode where Pierre Despereaux (Elwes) returns.

Until tomorrow, Potatoes~

No comments:

Post a Comment