Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day One Hundred and Thirty-two - Craig Ferguson: I'm Here to Help, "Makes Me Want to Try Standup Again."

This isn't the first routine of Craig's that I've reviewed... and, if I have my way, it certainly won't be the last.

I think that, over the years, Craig Ferguson has developed into quite the comedian.

Most folks probably know him from his late-night show, though I'm sure a majority also saw him as the mean-spirited boss on The Drew Carey Show in the late 90's, early 2000's.

Because of the former, he's garnered quite a bit of good will, I think, though the world tends to favor his rival, Jimmy Kimmel.

Ah well, I still love you Craig... and I think there's good a reason for that which is exemplified in this new routine filmed in Washington, D.C. just this year.

With jokes spanning the gamut from the clitoris to aura massage to shark week, Craig manages to present oddly prescient and smart humor without really going over the line.

Sure, he jokes that something is "too far" and he has to dial it back a bit, but it's never really the case. I think the only things that are really too on the nose are the little five second fan-blurbs in the opening credits where someone comments that they hope he curses a hundred times.

Really? That's what you came for? The cursing?

Now, don't get me wrong, I only refrain from dropping the f-bomb when I'm on the air, not wishing to get fired or deal with a large FCC fine, but Craig's cursing is your main draw? The man is fucking funny whether he's cursing or not! I'll never tell him to stop, but don't just come because he's live, in person, and uncensored.

Yeesh.

Now, as with my previous complaint concerning his last show, "Does This Need To Be Said," he does manage to date himself a little with recent pop culture, like the Honey Boo Boo bits, so a few jokes won't stand up in a few years, I think... but overall the majority of the set is spot on and will stand the test of time.

And, Honey Boo Boo included, I don't think there was a single joke I didn't enjoy. If I wasn't laughing out loud, I was still smiling... his humor never ran me raw and I appreciate that.

Yes, folks should be aware of the adult content. He does curse, he does talk about sex, etc., etc., but I'd like to think most folks are mature enough to handle it.

For those who aren't? Fuck off!

Until tomorrow, Potatoes~


No comments:

Post a Comment