Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day One Hundred and Seventy-seven - Louis C.K.:Live at the Beacon, "That is, like, the worst thing I've ever said..."

You know, I don't think I've ever sat down and actually watched anything Louis C.K. has ever done before.

Sure, some of his bits and a small portion of his television show have somehow managed to filter through the white noise of the conglomomedia I consume on a regular basis, but I've never watched anything that he has ever done from start to finish.

Never.

I think I have truly been missing out, because I was laughing out loud for the large majority of this special and was wearing a goofy grin on my face for the rest of the time.

Louis C.K. is vulgar, obscene, and profane... yet, also, subtle... complex... honest.

There's just something about the way he delivers the worst possible line in the best possible way that boggles my mind. He can take something horribly disgusting, racist, and sexist and put a spin on it such that not only are you laughing, but you're right there with him, unable to disagree.

Whether it's dog-faced babies or ejaculating in a friendly person's eyes, what should've filled me with revulsion and disgust instead had me almost falling out of my seat because I find it so hilarious.

I don't think it would have the same effect the second time as a lot of his best jokes tend to rely on shock factor to boost the gain on the laughs, but still... that first time was pretty darn tight.

Now, it's not exactly the smartest humor out there. He's certainly no Eddie Izzard when it comes to intelligent, well-connected humor with tons of callbacks sprinkled throughout a brilliant set. No, Louis C.K., for as funny as he is, is still catering to the LCD crowd, but at no point do I feel like an idiot for being there in the bilge with him (and everyone else), laughing all the way.

Can I recommend Louis C.K.? Most certainly. Is he my favorite comic of all time (or likely to be)? Not a freaking chance. But I definitely enjoyed his set at the Beacon much more than I honestly expected to... and I look forward to hunting down more of his routines.

Until tomorrow, Potatoes~

No comments:

Post a Comment