Sunday, June 2, 2013

Day One Hundred and Fifty-three - George Carlin: Life is Worth Losing

He's old, he's crotchity, he's popular, he's vulgar... and that's all well and good. It's just, he's boring.

I have to admit, his memorized, rapid-fire opening monologue was impressive in its delivery, but really rather lacking in anything meaningful. He was just spouting off idioms and sayings that were barely strung together structurally, let alone coherently.

Then there was his actual routine.

Let me also admit that it's been a loooong while since I've seen a Carlin routine, with my favorite (and pretty much the only one I return to) being his many uses of the word "fuck." That said, maybe this is reminiscent of his past shows, I honestly cannot remember.

Either way, it just wasn't all that interesting.

He goes on and on about the various evils that we do to ourselves and one another, long diatribes that don't quite celebrate necrophilia, genocide, and suicide. It's all very common sense (if "edgy," emphasis on the bunny ears) but barely droll and not really interesting at all.

I don't know... maybe he was just getting old, maybe his comedic ship had sailed, but I just wasn't impressed at all. This was especially the case with his ending monologue concerning the rebirth of the universe, where all the hate humankind spews congeals into a new pre-mass singularity for the next Big Bang that reshapes everything into a heaven for the downtrodden "Uncle Daves" of the world.

What unjust, unfair, utter crap.

I've got nothing against unhappy endings. Sometimes they just fit, but he delivers his possible rebirth with such matter-of-fact disharmony and ill karma. He's a Debbie Downer breaking the bad news that the jerks will inherit the afterlife... and it bugs the heck out of me.

This is certainly not the Carlin that I remember (though, granted, my memory may be a hazy thing regarding him)... and it's certainly not the Carlin that I want to remember, now that he's gone. It's probably not his fault. In fact, it's almost certainly mine... but that doesn't stop these feelings of regret and annoyance.

I'll see you on the other side, George. Hopefully you're wrong about douchebag heaven.

Until tomorrow, Potatoes~

No comments:

Post a Comment