Saturday, September 28, 2013

Day Two Hundred and Seventy-one - Comic Book Men: Season 1, Episode 1, "When Pawn Stars Meets Middle Aged Geeks"

If you've read my previous entries concerning Geek Godfather, Kevin Smith, you'll know that my feelings for him are complex... but, generally, favor in the positive directions of my heart.

I've been staying away from Comic Book Men because I was afraid it was just going to be another cheesy faux-reality show in the vein of Duck Dynasty or Pawn Stars where the drama is pre-packaged and its main draw is making fun of both its hosts and single-episode walk-ons (aka - customers/suckers).

Sadly, it looks like I was right to be cautious, as it is exactly what I thought it would be, with one very tiny difference... there actually are moments from the podcasts that include the infamous Kevin Smith. For the grand majority of the show, though, it really is a geek version of Pawn Stars and Smith is entirely absent as the actual comic shop in Jersey that is the setting of the show (Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash) is manned by an intentionally quirky crew of mostly geek everymen.

Aside from Smith, the only other familiar face is that of Walt Flanagan. Not that I have anything against the rest of the crew. In fact, I feel like I know them as I've lived and worked with people exactly like them... and I'm probably exactly like a certain personality (I'll let you guess who).

What I do have a problem with, though, are the parade of wannabe geek money-makers who bring their assorted tchotchkes and memorabilia in the vain hopes that they'll get their opening offer (never going to happen) or perhaps settle after a little dithering (still never going to happen... mostly). Whether its the vintage Thor poster, the Chuckie doll, or the Dawn of the Dead photos, it all feels like so much mercenary silliness.

I much rather would have preferred just a televised version of the podcast in its entirety. For a little bit, the show delivers on that as there are moments where it's all the guys around a broadcast booth with the man himself but, other than that, Smith isn't involved at all... and that's a disappointment. I realize that the podcasts get more than a little vulgar, but I think it would be much more entertaining just to hear their stories at the roundtable week after week instead of seeing Pawn Stars: Jersey Geeks.

As always, I'll give it one or two more episodes (perhaps not for the blog) to see if it improves, but I'm not holding any real hope that its format will change to something more palatable to me. For those who like this sort of thing, it's probably a winner, but I'm not one of them.

Until tomorrow, Potatoes~

No comments:

Post a Comment