Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day One Hundred and Ninety-eight - Orange is the New Black: Season 1, Episode 2, "Well, this just got 100% better, didn't it?"

The buzz is still heavy for OitNB and folks I know both IRL and online have been telling me to give it a second chance.

So, I did.

Honestly, shrugging off the pilot blues really worked for the series.

Instead of relying on the silly skinemax lesbian sex of the pilot, the second episode focuses on Piper's unintended feud with Red (Kate Mulgrew). I have to say, it wasn't just the overabundance of boobs in the pilot that annoyed me, but also Captain Janeway's flimsy accent. Luckily, it actually improved quite a bit overnight... or maybe it was just that, despite the bad accent, the flashbacks that deepened her character were very entertaining.

As was the ultimate solution to Piper's problem.

It's still hard to sympathize with Piper, even as she's starved for insulting Red's prideful work, but the actual conflict and its mechanics, contrasted with Red's backstory woes, make for pretty darn good television.

It's also good to have great television feature REAL women... and not be perpetually inhabited by uber-hot stick figures... not to mention have several examples of these real women showing real beauty and pride even in contrast with the occasional fistfight.

There's not really much for Jason Biggs to chew on this time around (since he's not on the inside, himself, after all), but what he's there for is interesting. I like how he's both supportive (in visitation) and selfish (in regards to Mad Men). Such simple devices creating effectively believable complexity. Laura Prepon gets a few more scenes that doesn't seem to deepen her role as Alex all that much, but it's nice to see her attempts to try and snare Piper during the Starve-Out.


I think there's just enough mystery in Red's story alone to keep me coming back for more with OitNB and look forward to seeing additional backstory from her, as well as from the rest of the inmates. The way things are shaping up, I expect plenty of the side characters are going to get similar treatment and I, for one, can't wait.

Well, I can wait... and shall. Don't really have the time to binge-watch... but you get the idea.

It's still not perfect, but Orange is the New Black has certainly improved over its shaky start. If someone tells you to put it in your queue, I think I'd take that advice.

Until tomorrow, Potatoes~

No comments:

Post a Comment